Sunday, March 29, 2009

Raymond's Big Debut

Lest I forget this event 25 years from now, I must put it here. Last Sunday Raymond had his first opportunity to sing in Church with a group of primary children and their parents. We had all practiced the Sunday before, and that morning, and both times Ray sat on my lap and I whispered the words to him, and I could hear him doing a wonderful job. He can sing on key perfectly and has a great little voice....when he tries. A few times, when the director (go Hyo!) would ask for the children to be loud, he would simply shout, but only once or twice did he do this, and only for a second.

When it was time to sing in church, Ray his little "Sunbeam" friends were situated directing in front of the microphone. The music began and the director told them to, "Sing Loud!." Now, you never know when Raymond will decide to follow direction. He did this time, He began to SHOUT the children's part as loud as his little lungs would allow, right into the microphone. The second verse was supposed to be just the parents, but he kept right on shouting. About two thirds of the way through the song, I was up with the parents, crying with laughter. I couldn't pull it together, but Candace took the initiative to try and move him away from the microphone and encourage him to be quiet. To which he said, also right into the microphone....,"But she told me to be loud!." So we left him alone to SHOUT the rest of the song. I was a little concerned that he was just goofing off, but Scott could see his face and said Ray was really getting into it, and even had his eyes closed.

It may not have been the most reverent of musical numbers, but at least everyone in the congregation was smiling.

Good job, Raymond. Just next time shout on pitch for Mommy, okay?

2 comments:

MandaJ said...

That is so funny. To date I've yet to hear Spence sing/hum a single note.

Rhanda said...

How fun for Ray.